Friday, June 20

Almost a Month?!

Time sure does fly when you're having fun... and are really stressed. With our trip around the corner we've been working hard and playing hard.

An old friend from Florida drove threw town with her husband and four legged friends on their move up to Whitefish, MT. Gabrielle and Steven had taken us out sailing in the Keys when we were living in Destin, back in '04. One of the fonder memories of my time in Florida. We haven't seen these guys since that summer but I hope with them on this side of Mississippi it won't be that long until the next visit. Since they were in town only as a stop over we reminisced over a few beers and went on a short walk the next morning.

With the end of the school year there are students who are ready for scholarships. The JACL gives out scholarships to outstanding members who are in their senior year of high school. This year we only had one applicant, but what a great one he is. PJ serves on the SL JACL board with me and reminds me quite a bit of myself when I was his age. He is an artist who is thinking of going into architecture. Although quite and soft spoken he gets things done... which is a trait I need to work on :) We had a scholarship banquet with the Mt. Olympus chapter at the Pagoda restaurant, where he works, to honor him and six other outstanding students. As a side note, if you know anyone who is a junior or senior in high school interested in civil rights and the Japanese American culture, send them my way. We are always looking for eager young minds to help... and it doesn't hurt when applying for scholarships.

Now that it's officially summer I have to reflect on the wonderful spring we've had here. The flowers never seemed to stop blooming... actually many still are. With the cool temps and snow falling on the mountain tops the valley and hills reached a shade of green that I've never seen here before. It's been beautiful. Here are a couple of the beautiful and intricate flowers that I've found outside our front door.


One of the biggest events that's happened recently is the marriage of two members of the river family, Spencer and Barbara. Last year Barbara, Reese and I went down to the Gold Bar camp site to check things out. Little did I know what a magically marvelous delight Barbara would make of the place.

The wedding encompassed the entire weekend, because river rafting and yoga had to be incorporated, of course! On Friday we loaded about 40 people into our boats for a Moab Daily run. The water was big and fun. We only had one person go overboard, the tears that were shed were tears of joy (mostly), and no one emptied their stomachs... that day.
The next morning, since we were so close to Corona arch, a hike was in order.

The ladies (+Jim) did a bit of yoga while there. I would have liked to join in, but I was just so taken with the scenery that I couldn't put Jess' camera down.

On the way back I had to get a picture of the largest karen (trail marker) I've ever seen.


When we returned to camp the magic happened, the group camp pavilion turned into a wedding reception hall. A dance floor with all the bells and whistles (that can be added that far away from home) was erected and painted. Mother Nature provided a beautiful wedding chapel. Ahhhh... sooo perfect. I was stuck behind the camera for much of the evening because I was so fascinated with how everything looked. All in all I believe I took about 800 pics that weekend.... most can be seen here.

Now that we're back the main thought on our minds is preparations for Peru. We leave with a bang, on the 4th of July and will be gone until the 7th of August. Since it's been over 10 years since I've flown internationally or stayed abroad for any significant amount of time, I'm stressed. How much money will we need? Am I going to have enough mosquito repellent to keep those insects from hell away from me? Are the flights going to all work out? Will I remember any of the Spanish I learned in Jr. High? Should I take my computer? How am I going to upload my photos? What art supplies should I take? Where will I be for my birthday? Haha.. well if that didn't give you a glimpse of the craziness going on in this head of mine I don't know what will.

I hope your summer is full of adventure and fun... minus all the stress. My goal is to use this blog while I'm down in Peru to keep family and friends abreast of my travels. Until the next entry... adios, ciao, ja ne, au revior!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

You're an amazing photog taker, Joshi. I love your blog. :)