Friday, July 25

Kuelap- Hanging out with the people of the clouds

Yesterday was amazing! I don´t think I´ve fretted for my life quite as much as during the car ride up to Kuelap. Teetering on a dirt road who knows how many hundreds of feet above the river we climbed up to a ruin perched on top of a mountain. At one point the driver pointed to the ruin across the valley and thousands of feet above us... I didn´t /couldn´t believe that we were going to make it up to the top of that mountain. But, we did about an hour later. Kuelap is a ruin built by the Chachapoyan people before the Incas. They were able to make the structure blend perfectly into the surrounding landscape. Little is known about the people of the clouds because around 1500 the Chachapoyans were overtaken by the Incas. The ruins are still being unearthed today. It was truly amazing to see where these people lived. As usual I can´t wait to post pictures. Here´s a link to more information about the ruins, http://www.kuelap.org/kuelap/ .
Feistas Patrias is in a couple days on the 28th. It´s the country´s independence day. Hopefully we won´t be stuck in a bus during the festivities. We are heading to Chiclayo tomorrow then hope to catch a bus to Trujillo or maybe Cajamarca. A visit to Huaraz is in the works before we start our travels back home.

No comments: