Monday, July 7

Peru 2008 - 7/8/08

We've made it!! I am in Trujillo and am chilling at Brad's place. Think we're going to take a nap, go grab some breakfast and check out the town. This place is crazy. We flew into Lima on Sunday and took the night bus from there to here and arrived about an hour ago. The plane ride was great, although we did have one missing passport scare from Nyles while in Panama. Our bus ride was non-climactic other than a pissed-off suicidal taxi driver who stopped his little cab in front of the moving bus. When the bus attempted to move around the taxi driver would swerve in front of it. We could see all that was going on because we were sitting in the top front rows of a double decker luxery bus (pics to come). It's weird that an 8 hour luxery bus ride only costs 70 Soles, that's the equivilant to about $19.60. From our vantage point you could see the sprawling abodes made out of plaster and brick. The poverty in the country is sad to see. There is a perpensity for people to take advantage of the "gringos". I feel super safe having the four of us together though. Don't think I'd ever think of traveling down here alone, unless my Spanish were better. Everyone automatically starts speaking to me in Spanish, so it's slowly coming back to me.
The past couple days really have been a blur. There have been many other travelers around until we arrived here in Trujillo. Since I'm more of a visual person I've been taking a lot of pictures to document the trip. I'll be posting those when I am able. They will probably remind me of other stories to tell.
Hope all is well with you and that you can make sense of my writings. The hours of traveling have definitely cut into my normal sleep... for those of you that know me well, normal and restful is at least 8 hours... think I'm going off of 5 hours of sleep while on the bus. That nap is sounding really good right now.

1 comment:

moh47 said...

Hi, Jpshi, Happy to know you all are in Trejillo! Hope no more earth quake in Peru for awhile. It's strange you think about these things when you are far away. Have you been out walking around town? The city looks much bigger than I thought it would be.
Enjoying your blog. Great pictures!!
OXOXOX Love, Mom